Dr. Benjamin Barankin combines his interest in the humanities with his proficiency in matters of the skin to optimize the skin care needs of his patients. He resides in Toronto with his physician wife and daughters, and enjoys spending time with his family and friends, writing, playing basketball & tennis, watching movies, and traveling.
Dr. Benjamin Barankin is a board-certified, award-winning Toronto dermatologist specializing in medical, surgical and cosmetic care of the skin. His undergraduate university training was in Life Sciences and Psychology at Queen’s University, followed by medical school at the University of Western Ontario. Dr. Barankin then completed a five-year dermatology residency at the University of Alberta that resulted in him being awarded a fellowship in Dermatology by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Dr. Benjamin Barankin is also a widely published author with more than 700 articles related to dermatology and he has gained international distinction as the author of 7 books on dermatology. He was honoured with being voted onto the Executive Board of the Canadian Dermatology Association (CDA) where he held the position of Secretary as well as Chair of the Membership & Awards Committee. Dr. Barankin was recognized by the Canadian Dermatology Association (CDA) in June 2014 for his volunteering contributions to the field of dermatology by his peers with the Young Dermatologists’ Volunteer Award. He also serves on the editorial boards of numerous medical journals that seek his expertise.
Dr. Barankin is frequently sought out by insurance companies and law firms to serve as a medical expert on their most challenging cases and independent medical examinations (IME) and independent medical assessments. He is also regularly asked to consult to industry on treatments and trends in dermatology as a Healthcare Consultant.
Dr. Benjamin Barankin regularly educates dermatologists, family physicians, medical trainees, and the public on matters related to the skin. He is regularly invited to speak at national and international conferences where his research has garnered numerous awards. Dr. Barankin travels extensively to scientific meetings to stay at the cutting edge of dermatology research and technologies. In addition, his expertise is frequently sought by the Canadian press including: National Post, Globe & Mail, Toronto Star, Reader’s Digest, ELLE, FLARE, Sharp, Elevate, Canadian Living, Best Health, Glow, Today’s Parent, Good Times, CBC radio, Global & CTV news. Since 2012, he has been honoured with a Top Dermatologist Award from RealSelf.com ; from 2016 to present, he’s been named a top 3 dermatologist in Toronto by threebestrated.ca.
His training and expertise are in medical, surgical, laser and cosmetic dermatology. Dr. Benjamin Barankin has a large medical practice treating: acne, psoriasis, pearly penile papules, rosacea, excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), skin cancers, moles & age spots & angiomas & skin tags, actinic and seborrheic keratoses, and numerous other conditions affecting the skin.
Dr. Benjamin Barankin balances his medical expertise with a cosmetic practice where he is a recognized expert in the use of botulinum toxins (e.g. BOTOX®, Dysport®), fillers (e.g. Restylane®, Juvederm®, & others), chemical peels, microdermabrasion (including Silkpeel Dermalinfusion), sclerotherapy (for leg veins), lasers (photorejuvenation, laser resurfacing, laser hair removal), and localized fat reduction (e.g. Belkyra®, CoolSculpting®). He is also well-known for his acne scar and other scar treatments which along with lasers & peels, includes microneedling (RF or PRP), as well as subcision. Of note, Dr. Barankin performs all BOTOX®/Dysport®, Restylane®Juvederm® Filler injections, Belkyra® & subcision himself.
- Canadian Dermatology Association (CDA)
- American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)
- International Society of Dermatology (ISD)
- Toronto Dermatology Society (TDS)
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS)
- Canadian Society for Dermatologic Surgery (CSDS)
- Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
- Ontario Medical Association (OMA)
- Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
- Canadian Dermatology Foundation (CDF)
Scientific Medical Journal Articles
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Barrier Repair Therapy in Atopic Dermatitis
- Dyshidrotic Eczema – 2014
- Five Things to Know About Psoriasis
- Inverse Psoriasis – 2015
- Keratosis pilaris
- Long-term Management of Psoriasis
- Management of Plaque Psoriasis
- Nipple and Areolar Eczema in the Breastfeeding Woman
- Pathway to Dry Skin Prevention and Treatment
- Periorificial Dermatitis – 2015
- Pityriasis Alba
- Plaque Psoriasis – 2015
- Psoriasis: An update on effective therapies
- Seborrheic Dermatitis – 2015
- Tackling Atopic Dermatitis
- The Role of Fish Oils in Psoriasis
- Therapeutic Moisturizers in Eczema and Xerosis Management
- Treatment Decision Needs of Psoriasis Patients
- Cutaneous Manifestations of Modern Technology Use
- Dermatological Manifestations of Down’s Syndrome
- Diagnosis of Sports-Related Dermatoses
- Effects of a Sun Protection Program Targeting Elementary School Children and their Parents
- Ophthalmologic Manifestations of Cutaneous Conditions
- Psychosocial Effect of Common Skin Diseases
- Sports Dermatology part 1: Common Dermatoses
Thinking of visiting Toronto’s premier skin clinic soon?
Fill out the inquiry form below and let us know your area of interest.
Call us today @ 416.633.0001