BIOPSY or SURGERY SITE CARE INSTRUCTIONS at Toronto Dermatology Centre
- Keep the bandage/wound dry for 24 hours.
- After 48 hours, remove the bandage and gently clean the wound with water or saline. Pat the wound dry. DO NOT USE: ALCOHOL, HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, OR SOAP.
- Apply Vaseline (Petrolatum, Aquaphor) or Antibiotic (e.g. polysporin, fucidin, bactroban) if your physician recommends to the wound and cover the wound with a Band-Aid or non-stick Telfa pad, gauze and paper tape.
- Continue to clean the wound daily, apply Vaseline or Antibiotic and cover with a bandage until it has completely healed or the stitches are removed.
- Shower or bathe with the bandage in place. If the bandage gets wet, replace it with a new one after bathing.
- If stitches were placed on the skin, they should be removed in 1-2 weeks (doctor or nurse will tell you when precisely – typically 1 week for face, 2 weeks for body). If stitches were placed under the skin, they will absorb on their own.
- If you have any questions, please call our Toronto dermatology office at: 416-633-0001 or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow-up as directed by your physician.